And, it may be hard to read---it's very sad and I don't expect any of you to read it or comment---but my stomach hurts from being so mad about something I just read so I'm gonna put it here and leave it.
I belong to an online community called savinglittlehearts....it was a great source of information when Lauren was first diagnosed and they do really neat little things such as card programs for little ones having surgery, etc. The good from the website outweighs the bad so I continue to read their emails, etc. About a month ago, I received an email from the woman who runs it, Karin, it was a mass email about a little boy, a year older than Lauren, that had passed away. He had the same defect as Lauren although most you do hear about passing away do have this defect. He'd had the first 2 of the 3 surgeries, but after the 2nd, like Lauren, his body rejected it, and instead of being able to work through it, he had to have a transplant. He did really well and the day before he passed, he'd had an echo and heart cath and received good news. The next morning, without warning, he just fell over. It broke my heart, and I spent the better part of the following week trying to imagine how his parents were handling it. We all know the statistics of a child with hlhs, but when they're doing so well, everything you've been told takes a back seat.
Well, just now, I received another email from Karin. Another child with hlhs just passed away this morning -- his name is Noah and he was 4 months old. I decided to read his carepage and see what defect he had and what all he had been through that had led to his passing. And, it's just the same story I've read hundreds of times, except for the end and I just don't understand it. He'd had the first of the 3 surgeries right after birth. He had a bt shunt placed (Lauren had one placed during her first surgery) when he was a couple of months old. They were preparing to have his 2nd surgery in the next month or two. His parents had taken him in 5 days ago....told his doctors that something wasn't right, he wasn't eating well, he looked swollen and blue. Supposedly, the doctors ran all kinds of tests, including chest xrays and an echo and they said his heart looked fine and that maybe it was just a virus. They sent him back home with his sats in the low 60's--no oxygen--nothing. Low 60's! Lauren's docs weren't thrilled with her mid-70's but at least she was still playing, eating, and acting fine. There's no way they would send her home with sats in the 60's. In fact, they nearly took her back to surgery to undo her 2nd procedure when her sats hit low 60's...of course they dipped into the 40-50's too, but they still weren't satisfied with 60s. I just don't understand it...if they weren't sure of their ability to care for this sick of a child, why did they not send him to another hospital? I saw pictures on their website of this baby, sure he looked sick--heart sick--but he was smiling and looked healthy otherwise. And, these parents will probably never know that he should've never been sent home. I know these babies/children have a life-threatening defect. Believe me, I know that--and I'm so not the smartest person to ask about stuff like this--but I do feel that this baby didn't have to die....not today. It has just made me so sick. If you did read this and I have a feeling most of you did cause you're such good friends to me! please say a prayer for Noah's family. He has a 6-year old brother named Josh.
Thursday, July 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Hugs and prayers coming your way!! Luv ya!!
I'll pray for them and for you Jeannie. I'm sorry you are taking it so understandably rough.
I don't understand the lingo (and for the record you ARE smart and well read on the subject) but one thing I did get from it is that Lauren is lucky enough to have great doctors and a mommy that cares enough to learn about what she is going through and to help her recieve the best care possible.
(((hugs)))
Post a Comment