Thursday, August 31, 2006

Take Out the Trash Part 3........

Ok let's see if I can finish this up.

Monday, Dr. Marrow says Lauren can go home Tuesday. So Tues morning, I take my time packing up. My mom's there w/us playing w/Lauren. I knew it would be a while before we were discharged. Around 3 that afternoon, Dr. Fasules (the cardio working the east side for the next 2 weeks) and Dr. Francis (a resident) come into Lauren's room. They don't introduce themselves--nothing. Dr. Francis says "so, we're going to turn off the pulse ox machine." And I say "you mean at home?" and she says "No, you're not going home." I say "Dr. Marrow said we could go home today." Dr. Fasules pipes in "No, you're not, and she should've never been sent home in the first place." hmmmmm ok---then he says "I don't know when she'll go home." I then say "Do you know what we've accomplished in the 5 days we've been here?" he replies with "nothing" I said that's right "nothing, noone is worried about anything, why do we need to stay?" he replies with "I would've never sent her home." and then walks out. Ok--I was upset--but didn't make a scene. I unpack and bawl the rest of the day :( Tuesday, around 11:00, Dr. Fasules comes in again w/a nurse. My mom is there again playing w/Lauren. He tells me they want to do another echo. Ok--fine--we start talking and I ask him (a valid question in my opinion) what does he see that all the others didn't see when they discharged her the Thursday before......and here's our conversation:
me--what do you see that everyone else didn't when they discharged her last thursday?
him--well, sometimes doctors don't have a choice when the parent is PESTERING them to go home
me--are you telling me that the only reason they sent my child home is because they felt like i was pestering them?
him--WELL IF YOU PESTER THEM ENOUGH-------all caps cause he was yelling by this time
me--well, if that's the case, then I've got her in the wrong place--and i can't believe you would say something like that to me---she saw 10 different doctors across the hall and they all felt that she was ready to go home---Dr. Marrow told me she was ready to go home from this stay today
him--it sounds to me that you only hear what you want to hear---(then he backtracks) oh I don't know maybe you hear the positive and I hear the negative
me--by this time--i'm livid and we're both yelling---i repeat i can't believe you're talking to me like this---i've never had anyone here act like this
him--well you pestered them to let you go home---then when you get home, you call up here 3 times---you refused to bring her to the east side (stepdown unit) before going home
me---it was never once mentioned that she needed to come to this side---I only called b/c her sats were so low at home
him--well, i need to get someone up here to DEAL with you so I can take care of her
then he would start to walk out and he'd turn around and just keep on----IT WAS AWFUL
I have never ever been so angry in all my life---he basically told me I was only interested in going home and not what was best for Lauren.
So, he finally walks out---and I burst into tears I was so mad....now my mom has trouble hearing---but she knew we were fighting but couldn't understand every single word but she heard enough that she was mad too. A few minutes later---a social worker walks in---yes a social worker ha! I tell her what happened---she says I just can't believe that Dr. D (the one that d/c'd lauren from cvicu) would tell anyone that he was pestered into releasing a patient. I ask her who do I talk to---he's not getting away with this- and she says Dr. Marrow---he is Dr. Fasules' boss. So she calls him and he comes up a couple of hours later to talk to me.
We went into a room to ourselves and he said let's talk about Lauren first....I said ok---he went on to talk about all she'd been through, etc. and how he and the other doctors always talked about how I was always at her bedside, always had faith in them, etc. and yes that's all good to know---but not what i was worried about....then he says ok--tell me what happened---i told him and the nurse that had come in w/dr. fasules and heard the whole thing---was in there w/me and dr. marrow---she kept trying to defend him but couldn't deny the things he had said....dr. marrow was furious.....he said i knew they were releasing Lauren---we all thought she was ready, it didn't have anything to do with you......etc. So he goes and speaks to Dr. Fasules---a few minutes later, dr. fasules comes into lauren's room and starts talking about her echo results--then in the middle of all this he says "what can i say, I was wrong".......well, i knew that was all i was going to get out of him so ok fine.......but from that moment on, he lost total control of Lauren. Her surgeon stepped in and took over the decisions---her sats no longer were an issue (like Dr. Fasules was so worried about) and guess what became the issue??????????????
her incision---yes, the only thing my dh and I had asked them about every single day since we'd arrived---so they put her on an oral antibiotic and we had to stay until the next Monday.

Ok---I just wanted it out---there's noone I despise like this man---imo he is the very saddest, sorriest excuse for a doctor or even a human being. He treated me exactly how I would expect they wished they could treat some of the sorry parents that never come see their child....he will never ever have anything to do w/Lauren again---I don't care what kind of hell me and dh have to raise---it's been over a year and I still cannot believe I didn't do more. If I had it to do over; I wouldn't have slept until he was fired---there is just no excuse.

**For the record, cause I'm sure you're wondering----my dh never could catch him lol and it's a very good thing, I have no doubt....dh would come see us, doctor would be nowhere around.....ok if you had the patience to read all of this -- thankyou :)

1 comment:

Angel said...

I read it all and I am SOOOO sorry you had to hear anything like that from anyone, much less a doctor. I wouldnt want him to care for Lauren either. How can a heartless person who says something(s) like that have a job saving children. BLECH. seriously makes me sick to my stomach.

You were/are remarkable through all this. Absolutely, lovingly, wonderfuly, remarkable.