Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Coolest Thing Happened Last Night

Little background: Michael Ruhlman wrote a book called Walk on Water a few years ago about the life of a pediatric heart surgeon. He followed Dr. Roger Mee-the head pediatric heart surgeon-around the Cleveland Clinic for a year and a half gathering info for his book.
Forward to last year---I'm surfing the net, trying to find books on congenital heart defects -- unfortunately, there aren't very many -- and I come across this book--so I order it. During Lauren's hospital stay last summer, I read it. Now, I knew that Lauren's first heart surgeon, Dr. Drummond-Webb, once worked at the Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Mee, but I didn't know when. He was all through the book---so it kept me very interested to read more about him---I was also interested in the surgeon's perspective of heart surgery. While at Lauren's bedside one day, Dr. Ula (her anesthesiologist) came in. I had the book with me. He told me that he was also at the Cleveland Clinic during the time the writer was there. I didn't know that he and Dr. Imamura (Lauren's 2nd heart surgeon) both came to Arkansas Children's with Dr. Drummond-Webb.
Some of you may remember that Dr. Drummond-Webb committed suicide December 26, 2004. So, this book means a lot to me for many different reasons---one is---Lauren will have something for when she's older to tell her more about her first heart surgeon.
So, about a week ago---I sent him an e-mail and here's what it said:

Mr. Ruhlman I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate the time and effort it took to write Walk on Water. During the time your book was released, I would've never imagined I would ever need to read a book like this. However, we were put into this whole new world two years ago, and after my daughter's diagnosis, I went in search of as many books as I could find about heart defects. Your book stood out to me because I was interested in the surgeon's perspective. Unfortunately, there aren't many books about chd's...something that I hope changes soon. Your book is something we will keep forever. Dr. Drummond-Webb performed my daughter's first open-heart surgery. We loved him very much, and his death hit us very hard. We're glad our daughter, Lauren, will have something to tell her a little more about the kind of person he was. Lauren was diagnosed with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome at 8 days old. She'd been home with us for 5 days before fallilng ill. It's been quite the roller-coaster ride, of course, she's absolutely worth it! Dr. Imamura (you may have met him also) performed Lauren's 2nd surgery last May. She'd spent months on the transplant list before her heart function was good enough for the 2nd stage. It was a long and hard recovery. I was reading your book at her bedside one day, when Dr. Ula (anesthesia) walked in and told me he was at Cleveland while you were there. Anyway, we have a couple of people in common! I'm not one of those moms that says just fix her.....I want her fixed and I try to understand as much as possible everything that is going on with her. Your book helped me a lot and I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate it! Jeannie Reynolds

And, last night---He REPLIED!!!! I just thought it was so cool!!!!!

Jeannie,Thanks so much for writing. It's good to know my book helps. I've been close to people going through what your'e going through and i can't completely imagine it. Jonathan was a good surgeon and you were lucky to have him. I hope Lauren continues to improve and moves on well to that third stage. She's very lucky to have you.All best wishes and thanks again,Michael

Just wanted to share lol---not much excitement around here!! And, it's a good thing he has editors lol!

2 comments:

More than a mom said...

That's awesome! I'm so glad he wrote you back! I bet he appreciates knowing that he is helping families-and not just the ones he's doing surgeries for. Yay!

Angel said...

That is SUPER cool! You could totally mingle with heart surgeons and fit in. Now how many people can say that?!

I didn't know you had read up on it so much. That is so smart and sweet and well..just shows what kind of person you are.

I'm so glad he took the time to read it and responded. :)

Ps glad to finally read your REAL blog. (Geez I'm a moron!)